Since March 2021, Sherbourne Health has been operating a COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the Wellesley Community Centre in close partnership with Unity Health. After a year of operations and 46,000 doses administered, we closed our doors on March 26, 2022.
“The clinic at Wellesley Community Centre was an opportunity to make vaccinations as accessible as possible for residents of Downtown East Toronto neighbourhoods, including St. James Town,” says clinic manager Jeffrey Reinhart, RN. “It really was a community affair, with a number of organizations coming together to help ease the challenges that COVID-19 posed for this particular neighbourhood.”
Irfan Khan, a St. James Town resident for the past four years, worked as both a community ambassador as well as in non-clinical roles at the clinic. “As a community member, I was happy to be able to share information with my neighbours about the safety and local availability of COVID-19 vaccines,” says Irfan. “Going door to door to hand out flyers and talk to people was such an important part of getting vaccines to people who may have otherwise slipped through the cracks.”
With mask mandates ending, vaccination has now become more important than ever for reducing the spread and severity of COVID-19 infection. There are still a number of opportunities for vaccination in the Downtown East Toronto community, including:
- The St. James Town Community Corner will be operating hyperlocal pop-ups. Call the Corner for more information on vaccine access in St Jamestown: 416-347-0943 or visit https://www.stjamestown.org/
- In Downtown East Toronto, visit the vaccination clinic in Regent Park at 40 Oak Street (Fred Victor building) led by Regent Park Community Health Centre. Walk-ins available or book an appointment here: http://bit.ly/322ZBmZ
- Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 Vaccination Appointment Booking System: Ontario COVID-19 vaccination service
- Select pharmacies: COVID-19 pharmacy vaccine locations
- City of Toronto Vaccine Clinic Locations Map COVID-19: Vaccine Clinic Locations – City of Toronto
- Interactive calendar with vaccine clinics across Toronto
Sherbourne Health extends a huge thank you to all of our community partners who helped make this clinic such a success, including the ambassadors from The St. James Town Community Corner, who did such an amazing job of making face-to-face connections to help get vulnerable people vaccinated.