Job Title: Communications Officer
Job ID #: ADM 20-1101
Department: Executive Office
Reports To: President and Chief Executive Officer
Starting Salary Range: $ 59,904 to $74,314.50
Status: Full-time, permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Who we are:
Sherbourne is a leading provider of quality health care and transformative support to people who face social, economic and other systemic barriers. Our mission is to advance the equity and quality of care and services and to improve health for underserved communities. This is done through primary health and chronic disease services; health promotion and education; outreach and social supports; and mental health services.
Sherbourne provides innovative health care and social services to the diverse urban population of southeast Toronto. While our doors are open to everyone, we focus on people who are homeless or under-housed; LGBTQ, and newcomers to Canada. We are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Toronto Central LHIN, Ministry of Child and Youth Services, City of Toronto and many generous companies, groups and individuals.
We believe in work-life balance and offer:
- Four weeks of vacation per year (to start).
- A competitive salary Membership in Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP).
- An extended healthcare and dental package.
- Long-term disability insurance.
- Life insurance.
- Four personal days per year.
- An employee assistance plan.
- A generous professional development plan: up to $1300 to be used towards learning activities.
- Six fully paid professional development days per year – related to position/responsibilities.
Summary Description or Job’s Main Purpose
Scope of the Mandate
The Communications Officer reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer and is involved in day-to-day communications activities internally and externally. They ensure clients, funders, partners, and employees receive timely and accurate information and support. The Communication Officer develops copy for all communications vehicles including media releases, publications, websites, social media and advertising and promotional materials.
This role prioritizes its support to Rainbow Health Ontario (RHO) by developing and implementing communications plans, campaigns, and activities in accordance with Sherbourne Health’s communications policies and standards. The role supports RHO in communicating around relevant issues, building RHO’s profile, as well as arranging translation of RHO materials for Francophone stakeholders and additional languages as needed.
day to day responsibilities:
- Works in partnership with stakeholders, to create and develop communications strategies and tactics.
- Supports RHO in fulling its Communications needs including communicating around relevant issues, building RHO’s profile, as well as arranging translation of RHO materials as required.
- Develops and stewards the brand and visual identity of Sherbourne and its sub-programs through all communications vehicles, collaterals and marketing materials
- Manages the design and creation of all ‘official’ public-facing marketing, promotional and informational resources, including organization-wide and sub-program materials
- Plans and develops story ideas, writes copy and manages design for corporate publications, including newsletters and annual report to donors
- Manages all media activities, including inbound and outbound media inquiries, media pitches, and monitoring/tracking; develops media releases/advisories and key messages, and prepares staff ‘spokespeople’ for media appearances and interviews
- Plans, develops and distributes content to print and electronic communications vehicles
- Manages all social media activities and platforms for Sherbourne’s (incl. programs) accounts and builds online presence; monitors and posts multimedia content
- Oversees website management for all websites (Sherbourne and its programs), including structural changes, upgrades and maintenance to ensure ongoing functionality and accessibility; works with vendors where necessary to make coding changes and/or implement new features on the websites
- Updates website content as required, ensuring that program and center wide information is current
- Writes, edits and creates presentations, meeting and event collateral materials including program copy, messaging, signage, promotional materials and speaking notes
- Develops biographies, briefing notes and key messaging to educate and advise the Senior Management Team on various matters
- Develops position statements on organizational and broader health issues
- Assists the Senior Management Team with the development of speeches
- Performing day-to-day communication tasks as necessary
Team Collaboration and Support
- Provides communications support including (electronic/print) marketing materials to foster donor stewardship and delivery of fundraising campaigns and events;
- Participates in regular Team (including RHO) meetings to enhance collaboration and alignment and program planning meetings to identify Communications priorities for the year
- Participate and engage in Sherbourne staff meetings.
- Required University degree in Communications, Marketing or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience in a health or social services related organization.
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communications plans and tactics (including newsletters, speaking notes, media releases, presentations, online communications, etc.).
- Proven experience in web and digital media.
- Knowledge of strategic communication and stakeholder engagement processes.
- A level of understanding of web languages and functionality sufficient to work with and give feedback to web developers and designers.
- Proven ability to interact with the media, including proactive story pitches and responding to unsolicited inquiries.
- Ability to analyze and manage sensitive and complex communications issues, including confidential information.
- Ability to identify opportunities for digital growth and optimization.
- Ability to lead large-scale web and digital projects.
- Experience overseeing various social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn in support of the organization’s, goals and objectives.
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging copy for a variety of communications materials, purposes and audiences
- Ability to speak French, a desired asset.
- Ability to develop high quality communications materials with timely, relevant, accurate content – exhibiting attention to detail.
- Photography, video editing/production and graphic design skills (Adobe Creative Suite), an asset.
- Proven experience advising senior leadership on emerging or contentious issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time-management skills with the ability to manage a variety of complex projects on tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function independently, as well as a team member in a fast paced, demanding environment.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office – Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Demonstrates commitment to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community.
Conditions of Employment:
- Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with SH related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices.
- Understands and works within the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Human Rights Code and other relevant legislation
Application: Please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID #ADM 20-1101 to email@example.com by December 18, 2020.
Sherbourne is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity. Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
BOLD. KIND. REAL. OPEN. WE CARE.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org