job title: Registered Practical Nurse
job ID #: ARC RPN CS 22-0919
department: Acute Respite Care (ARC)
reports to: Senior Manager, Acute Respite Care
salary range: $24,75 – $31.33 per hour
status: Casual, Permanent
hours: 12-hour shifts, days, nights and weekends
Who we are
Sherbourne is a leading provider of quality health care and transformative support to people who face social, economic and other systemic barriers. Our mission is to advance the equity and quality of care and services and to improve health for underserved communities. This is done through primary health and chronic disease services; health promotion and education; outreach and social supports; and mental health services.
Sherbourne provides innovative health care and social services to the diverse urban population of southeast Toronto. While our doors are open to everyone, we focus on people who are homeless or under-housed, 2SLGBTQ, and newcomers to Canada. We are funded by the Ministry of Health, Toronto Central LHIN, Ministry of Child and Youth Services, City of Toronto and many generous companies, groups and individuals.
Working at Sherbourne
At Sherbourne Health, we care about our staff and recognize that our biggest strength is our people. We have a solid commitment to life-long learning which is demonstrated through our professional development program. We invest in collective work and staff training to improve client care. We supplement this by creating a low-barrier work environment built on equity and respect, while working together in caring, cohesive teams and providing opportunities for advancement.
we believe in work-life balance and offer:
- A competitive salary.
- Membership in Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP).
about the role:
You are a team player who is an integral member of an interdisciplinary team to support the improvement of the health and well-being of clients, by understanding the impact of the broad determinants of health on people’s ability to attend to their health care needs. You will provide care within a health promotion framework and will have familiarity with the health issues that are experienced by individuals who are homeless and vulnerable. In partnership with care providers, both internally at Sherbourne and externally, and in the community, you will help to improve the health of clients accessing the ARC program.
day to day responsibilities:
As the RPN, you will provide comprehensive nursing assessments; administer appropriate treatment/course of action; develop and maintain currency of care plans; administer prescribed medications and document according to Sherbourne Health and Nursing standards; provide health teaching to clients; provide care for clients pre and post operatively with an acute medical issue or undergoing cancer treatment, where their health outcome can improve after a short-term stay. You will work autonomously but transfer care to the Registered Nurse (RN) if a client’s condition becomes unpredictable and the level of risk is high. Level of risk is evaluated by considering a combination of client, nurse, and environment factors, in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario’s 3 Factor Framework
To thrive in this role, you’ll need
- Current R.P.N. Registration with the Ontario College of Nurses.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support certification
- Experience working with persons marginalized by social location for reasons including gender identity (LGBT2SQ, particularly trans, communities), homelessness, poverty, sexual orientation, and/or residency status using trauma-informed and anti-oppressive practices.
- Experience obtained in acute care and mental health is preferred.
- Experience working with individuals who face mental health and substance use issues.
- Knowledge of the health and social issues faced by diverse LGBT2SQ communities and in particular trans communities, in Ontario.
- Demonstrates an understanding of working within an anti-oppression framework.
- Understands the health care system – both within Sherbourne Health and in general.
- Knowledge of available resources accessible to clients (i.e., food banks, local shelters, mental health programs, etc.).
skills and abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to adapt communication style to audience.
- Excellent assessment skills and sound clinical judgment
- Conflict management and problem-solving skills.
- Crisis intervention and de-escalation skills
- Understands and applies principles of trauma-informed care
- Works effectively independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with SH related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices.
conditions of employment:
- Offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory outcome of background checks i.e., professional references, education verification, criminal background check, and vulnerable sector check.
- Understands and works within the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Human Rights Code and other relevant legislation.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with SHC related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices.
- The RPN will be responsible for providing direct nursing assessment and treatment within an interdisciplinary team setting, in a 24/7 inpatient care unit.
- The RPN is expected to work evenings, nights and/or weekends in order to address the health and social needs of the clients.
to apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID # ARC RPN CS 22-0919 to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 3, 2022 by 5 pm.
Sherbourne is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity. Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
BOLD. KIND. REAL. OPEN. WE CARE.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com