Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which your pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or your body does not properly use the insulin it makes. As a result, glucose (sugar) builds up in your blood instead of being used for energy. Your body gets glucose from foods like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, milk and fruit. To use this glucose, your body needs insulin – a hormone that helps your body to control the level of glucose in your blood.
Sherbourne’s Diabetes Education Program comprises a Diabetes Nurse Educator and Registered Dietitian, who offer education for the prevention and management of diabetes. The program aims to:
- Promote healthy eating and active lifestyles
- Improve access to quality, affordable, and culturally appropriate food
- Support individuals to live healthy with diabetes.
- Collaborate with community partners in developing services.
We offer services to clients of Sherbourne Health Centre, as well as people and agencies in the community. There is no charge for the service and interpretation is available.
We offer a variety of programs and services such as:
- Individual appointments with a nurse and dietitian for assessment, consultation and on-going follow-up.
- How to live a long, healthy life free of diabetes complications.
- Education and instruction on starting insulin.
- Support for lifestyle changes using health coaching and motivational counseling.
- Group based education offered at the St. James Town Community Corner.
- Community Kitchen Cooking Group – to develop food cooking/shopping/budgeting skills
Information on the following topics is available:
- What is Diabetes?
- High and low blood sugars
- Healthy eating – How to make food choices for diabetes management.
- Carbohydrate foods, eating on a budget, reading nutrition labels, planning and preparing meals
- Active living – How to start an exercise program that you enjoy
- Testing your blood sugar at home
- Medications and Insulin.
- Diabetes Complications
- Mental health and stress management
- Setting goals and developing a plan for making change