Diabetes Education Program
Sherbourne’s Diabetes Education Program comprises a Diabetes Nurse Educator and Registered Dietitian, who offer education for the prevention and management of diabetes.
The Program Aims to:
- Promote healthy eating and active lifestyles
- Improve access to quality, affordable, and culturally appropriate food
- Support individuals to live healthy with diabetes
- Collaborate with community partners in developing services
We offer services to clients of Sherbourne Health, as well as people and agencies in the community. Day and evening appointments are available in-person, virtually, or over the phone. We welcome requests for language interpretation, as well as self-referrals.
Programs and Services Include:
- Individual appointments with a nurse and dietitian for assessment, consultation and on-going follow-up
- How to live a long, healthy life free of diabetes complications
- Education and instruction on starting insulin
- Support for lifestyle changes using health coaching and motivational counseling
- Monthly virtual and in-person diabetes support and education group
Sherbourne Health is part of Toronto Diabetes Care Connect and the Toronto Central Referral Service, which help find the service most suited to clients.
Information on the Following Topics is Available:
- What is diabetes?
- High and low blood sugars
- Healthy eating – How to make food choices for diabetes management
- Carbohydrate foods, eating on a budget, reading nutrition labels, planning and preparing meals
- Active living – How to start an exercise program that you enjoy
- Testing your blood sugar at home
- Medications and insulin
- Diabetes complications
- Mental health and stress management
- Setting goals and developing a plan for making change
For more information or to book an appointment:
Shaista Fazal, RN(416)-324-4100 ext. 3248